Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fun With Fisheyes - Getting Ready for Italy

Oh what fun it is to plan a trip! Going to Italy for a month is a big thrill for just about anyone I would imagine, but for an extremely avid (obsessed) photographer it is even more exiting. Here's a chance to pick up some more gear and justify spending the money, "I may never get back there, think of all that history!"

Well I must say I did go a little crazy on ebay over the last few weeks but I'm sure it's going to pay off big. My first purchase was a new camera to act as a backup to my main DSLT (digital, single lens translucent) Sony A77 camera that I've had for almost a year now. I wanted something small and light that would complement my existing camera.

My A77 is a great camera in a lot of ways but it has a couple of problems, it's big and heavy (magnesium alloy) when combined with the excellent F2.8 16-50 zoom and it is not that good in low light, high ISO situations.
The camera that I got as a supplementary  camera is also a Sony, an NEX 5n with a 18-55mm kit lens.
I bought them separately and still haven't received the lens, but I did receive one lens and it is so much fun! (Update- I've now received the 18-55mm kit lens and it's very good, complete with optical "steadyshot")

Since we are going to Italy in the spring and Italy has so many marvelous churches and historical buildings and incredible scenic vistas and narrow streets and wonderful piazzas and fountains and statues, I asked myself, "what is the best way, or at least a different and fun way to capture those Italian scenes?"

I need a fisheye lens of course!

And of course ebay has them really quite cheap and I couldn't resist picking one up and today I took it to the Royal Alberta Museum to try it out in an architectural setting and I love it.

What I ended up getting is a Rokinon 8mm F3.5 fisheye manual focus lens with the NEX mount  and it was brand new in the box. These lenses are made in Korea and they get very good reviews and I am very pleased with the results I got and I have posted some of the pictures below. These are all straight from the camera, jpeg files with no processing done. Let me know what you think and if you have any tips or tricks for getting good results with this sort of lens, I would love to hear them.













No comments:

Post a Comment